[Bloat] less than best effort: TCP - flexis - A New Approach To Incipient Congestion Detection and Control

Qian Li biz.tinalee at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 00:27:52 EDT 2022

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback!

I had been working on a major revision of the submitted paper. I was asked
to compare FlexiS with LEDBAT++. I also added a greedy BE to greedy LBE
test, something like that reported in your work. And I also added a
reference to your suggested work.

It is possible to reduce packet size below the max MSS at times of severe
intrusion. However, this will only mitigate bit congestion (congestion
caused by comparatively slow transmission link) but not packet congestion
(congestion caused by comparatively slow processing power) if the minimum
packet rate is kept at 2MSS/RTT [1].

The second problem is easier to fix. I guess it is caused by WiFi
contention and delayed ack? Did FlexiS become less efficient (low
utilization) or more intrusive?

I can also add some loss tolerant code to make it more robust in wireless
scenarios.

I am now deciding the focus of the next paper, which I need for my Ph.D.
thesis. It can be an optimization of FlexiS if you think it is desirable?
Please let me know all known issues with FlexiS so far based on your
evaluation. I will try to figure out solutions/mitigations for them.

[1] RFC6077. Open Research Issues in Internet Congestion Control

I have switched from Gmail to Hotmail because I can no longer access Gmail
easily due to the firewall. Please send follow-up emails to my new email
address: li_qian_pro at hotmail.com

Best regards,
Qian