[Bloat] [iccrg] Musings on the future of Internet Congestion Control

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Jul 11 03:33:15 EDT 2022

HI Michael,

> On Jul 11, 2022, at 08:24, Michael Welzl <michawe at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Neither our paper nor me are advocating one particular solution - we point at a problem and suggest that research on ways to solve the under-utilization problem might be worthwhile.

	[SM2] That is easy to agree upon, as is agreeing on improving slow start and trying to reduce underutilization, but actually doing is hard; personally I am more interested in the hard part, so I might have misunderstood the gist of the discussion you want to start with that publication.

> Jumping from this to discussing the pro’s and con’s of a potential concrete solution is quite a leap…
>
> More below:
>

>> On Jul 10, 2022, at 11:29 PM, Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>

>>> On Jul 10, 2022, at 22:01, Michael Welzl <michawe at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi !

>>> Many thanks for doing that! :)

>>> you say so, but I don’t really see much disagreement here. Let’s see:

>>> You really say that you don’t see the solution. The problem is that capacities are underutilized, which means that flows take longer (sometimes, much longer!) to finish than they theoretically could, if we had a better solution.
>>
>> 	[SM] No IMHO the underutilization is the direct consequence of requiring a gradual filling of the "pipes" to probe he available capacity. I see no way how this could be done differently with the traffic sources/sinks being uncoordinated entities at the edge, and I see no way of coordinating all end points and handle all paths. In other words, we can fine tune a parameters to tweak the probing a bit, make it more or less aggressive/fast, but the fact that we need to probe capacity somehow means underutilization can not be avoided unless we find a way of coordinating all of the sinks and sources. But being sufficiently dumb, all I can come up with is an all-knowing oracle or faster than light communication, and neither strikes me to be realistic ;)
>
> There’s quite a spectrum of possibilities between an oracle or “coordinating all of the sinks and sources” on one hand, and quite “blindly” probing from a constant IW on the other.

	[SM] You say "blindly" I say "starting from a conservative but reliable prior"... And what I see is that qualitatively significantly better approaches are not really possible, so we need to discuss small quantitative changes.

> The “fine tuning” that you mention is interesting research, IMO!

	[SM] The paper did not read that you were soliciting ideas for small gradual improvements to me.

>>> There are various ways to do this
>
> [snip: a couple of concrete suggestions from me, and answers about what problems they might have, with requests for references from you]
>
> I’m sorry, but I wasn’t really going to have a discussion about these particular possibilities. My point was only that many possible directions exist - being completely “blind” isn’t the only possible approach.

	[SM] Again I do not consider "blind" to be an appropriate qualification here.

> Instead of answering your comments to my suggestions, let me give you one single concrete piece here: our reference 6, as one example of the kind of resesarch that we consider worthwhile for the future:
>
> "X. Nie, Y. Zhao, Z. Li, G. Chen, K. Sui, J. Zhang, Z. Ye, and D. Pei, “Dynamic TCP initial windows and congestion control schemes through reinforcement learning,” IEEE JSAC, vol. 37, no. 6, 2019.”
> https://1989chenguo.github.io/Publications/TCP-RL-JSAC19.pdf

	[SM] From the title I predict that this is going to lean into the "cache" idea trying to improve the average hit rate of said cache...

> This work learns a useful value of IW over time, rather than using a constant. One author works at Baidu, the paper uses data from Baidu, and it says:
> "TCP-RL has been deployed in one of the top global search engines for more than a year. Our online and testbed experiments show that for short flow transmission, compared with the common practice of IW = 10, TCP-RL can reduce the average transmission time by 23% to 29%.”
>
> - so it’s probably fair to assume that this was (and perhaps still is) active in Baidu.

	[SM] This seems to confirm my prediction... however the paper seems to be written pretty exclusively from the view of an operator of server farms, not sure this approach will actually do any good for leaf end-points in e.g. home networks (that is for their sending behavior). I tend to prefer symmetric solutions, but if data center traffic can reach higher utilization without compromising end-user quality of experience and fairness, what is not to like about this. It is however fully within the existing slow-start framework, no?

>>> You’ve made it sound worse by changing the term, for whatever that’s worth. If they never help, why has anyone ever called them PEPs in the first place?
>>
>> 	[SM] I would guess because "marketing" was unhappy with "engineering" emphasizing the side-effects/potential problems and focussed in the best-case scenario? ;)
>
> It appears that you want to just ill-talk PEPs.

	[SM] Not really, I just wanted to point out that I expect the term PEP to come from entities selling those products and in our current environment it is clear that products are named and promoted emphasizing the potential benefit they can bring and not by the additional risks they might carry (e.g. fission power plants were sold on the idea of essentially unlimited cheap emission free energy, and not on the concurrent problem with waste disposal over time frames in the order of the aggregate human civilisation from the bronze age). I have no beef with that, but I do not think that taking the "positive" name as a sign that PEPs are generally liked or live up to their name (note I am also not saying that they do not, just that the name PEP is a rather unreliable predictor here).

> There are plenty of useful things that they can do and yes, I personally think they’re the way of the future - but **not** in their current form, where they must “lie” to TCP, cause ossification,

	[SM] Here I happily agree, if we can get the nagative side-effects removed that would be great, however is that actually feasible or just desirable?

> etc. PEPs have never been considered as part of the congestion control design - when they came on the scene, in the IETF, they were despised for breaking the architecture, and then all the trouble with how they need to play tricks was discovered (spoofing IP addresses, making assumptions about header fields, and whatnot). That doesn’t mean that a very different kind of PEP - one which is authenticated and speaks an agreed-upon protocol - couldn’t be a good solution.

	[SM] Again, I agree it could in theory especially if well-architected.

> You’re bound to ask me for concrete things next, and if I give you something concrete (e.g., a paper on PEPs), you’ll find something bad about it

	[SM] Them are the rules of the game... however if we should play the game that way, I will come out of it having learned something new and potentially changing my opinion.

> - but this is not a constructive direction of this conversation. Please note that I’m not saying “PEPs are always good”: I only say that, in my personal opinion, they’re a worthwhile direction of future research. That’s a very different statement.

	[SM] Fair enough. I am less optimistic, but happy to be disappointed in my pessimism.

>>> Why do people buy these boxes?
>>
>> 	[SM] Because e.g. for GEO links, latency is in a range where default unadulterated TCP will likely choke on itself, and when faced with requiring customers to change/tune TCPs or having "PEP" fudge it, ease of use of fudging won the day. That is a generous explanation (as this fudging is beneficial to both the operator and most end-users), I can come up with less charitable theories if you want ;) .

>>> Truth is, PEPs are used a lot: at cellular edges, at satellite links… because the network is *not* always doing reasonably well without them.
>>
>> 	[SM] Fair enough, I accept that there are use cases for those, but again, only if the actually enhance the "experience" will users be happy to accept them.
>
> … and that’s the only reason to deploy them, given that (as the name suggests) they’re meant to increase performance. I’d be happy to learn more about why you appear to hate them so much (even just anecdotal).
>
>> The goals of the operators and the paying customers are not always aligned here, a PEP might be advantageous more to the operator than the end-user (theoretically also the other direction, but since operators pay for PEPs they are unlikely to deploy those) think mandatory image recompression or forced video quality downscaling.... (and sure these are not as clear as I pitched them, if after an emergency a PEP allows most/all users in a cell to still send somewhat degraded images that is better than the network choking itself with a few high quality images, assuming images from the emergency are somewhat useful).
>
> What is this, are you inventing a (too me, frankly, strange) scenario where PEPs do some evil for customers yet help operators,

	[SM] This is no invention, but how capitalism works, sorry. The party paying for the PEP decides on using it based on the advantages it offers for them. E.g. a mobile carrier that (in the past) forcible managed to downgrade the quality of streaming video over mobile links without giving the paying end-user an option to use either choppy high resolution or smooth low resolution video. By the way, that does not make the operator evil, it is just that operator and paying customers goals and desires are not all that well aligned (e.g. the operator wants to maximize revenue, the customer to minimize cost).

> or is there an anecdote here?

	[SM] I think the video downscaling thing actually happened in the German market, but I am not sure on the exact details, so I might misinterpret things a bit here. However the observation about alignment of goals I believe to be universally true.

>>> That’s to do with scalability, which depends on how close to the network’s edge one is.
>>
>> 	[SM] I have heard the alternative that it has to do with what operators of core-links request from their vendors and what features they are willing to pay for... but this is very anecdotal as I have little insight into big-iron vendors or core-link operators.

>>> That could well be one way to go. Nice if we provoked you to think!
>>
>> 	[SM] You mostly made me realize what the recent increases in IW actually aim to accomplish ;)
>
> That’s fine! Increasing IW is surely a part of the solution space - though I advocate doing something else (as in the example above) than just to increase the constant in a worldwide standard.

	[SM] Happy to agree, I am not saying I think increasing IW is something I unconditionally support, just that I see what it offers.

>> and that current slow start seems actually better than its reputation; it solves a hard problem surprisingly well.
>
> Actually, given that the large majority of flows end somewhere in slow start, what makes you say that it solves it “well”?

	[SM] As I said, I accepted that there is no silver bullet, and hence some gradual probing with increasing CWND/rate is unavoidable which immediately implies that some flows will end before reaching capacity. So the fact that flows end in slow-start is not a problem but part of the solution. I see no way of ever having all flows immediately start at their "stable" long-term capacity share (something that does not exist in the first place in environments with un-correlated and unpredictable cross traffic). But short of that almost all flows will need more round trips to finish that theoretically minimally possible. I tried to make that point before, and I am not saying current slow-start is 100% perfect, but I do not expect the possible fine-tuning to get us close enough to the theoretical performance of an "oracle" solution to count as "revolutionary" improvement.

>> The max(pat_queue%) idea has been kicking around in my head ever since reading a paper about storing queue occupancy into packets to help CC along (sorry, do not recall the authors or the title right now) so that is not even my own original idea, but simply something I borrowed from smarter engineers simply because I found the data convincing and the theory sane. (Also because I grudgingly accept that latency increases measured over the internet are a tad too noisy to be easily useful* and too noisy for a meaningful controller based on the latency rate of change**)

>>> Yeah you do :-)
>>
>> 	[SM] Less than you let on ;). If L4S gets ratified
>
> [snip]
>
> I’m really not interested in an L4S debate.

	[SM] I understand, however I see clear reasons why L4S is detrimental to your stated goals as it will getting more information from the network less likely. I also tried to explain, why I believe that to be a theoretically viable way forwards to improve slow-start dynamics. Maybe show why my proposal is bunk while completely ignoring L4S? Or is that the kind of "particular solution" you do not want to discuss at the current stage?

Anyway, thanks for your time. I fear I have made my points in the last mail already and are mostly repeating myself, so I would not feel offended in any way if you let this sub-discussion sleep and wait for more topical discussion entries.

Regards
	Sebastian