[Bloat] Fwd: [iccrg] Musings on the future of Internet Congestion Control

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 13:49:22 EDT 2022

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michael Welzl <michawe at ifi.uio.no>
Date: Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 1:02 AM
Subject: [iccrg] Musings on the future of Internet Congestion Control
To: <iccrg at irtf.org>
Cc: Peyman Teymoori <peymant at ifi.uio.no>, Md Safiqul Islam
<safiquli at ifi.uio.no>, Hutchison, David <d.hutchison at lancaster.ac.uk>,
Stein Gjessing <steing at ifi.uio.no>

Dear ICCRGers,

We just got a paper accepted that I wanted to share:
Michael Welzl, Peyman Teymoori, Safiqul Islam, David Hutchison, Stein
Gjessing: "Future Internet Congestion Control: The Diminishing
Feedback Problem", accepted for publication in IEEE Communications
Magazine, 2022.

The preprint is available at:
https://arxiv.org/abs/2206.06642
I thought that it could provoke an interesting discussion in this group.

Figures 4 and 5 in this paper show that, across the world, network
links do not just become "faster”: the range between the low end and
the high end grows too.
This, I think, is problematic for a global end-to-end standard - e.g.,
it means that we cannot simply keep scaling IW along forever (or, if
we do, utilization will decline more and more).

So, we ask: what is the way ahead?  Should congestion control really
stay end-to-end?

Cheers,
Michael

FQ World Domination pending: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/