[Bloat] the future of tcp - train wreck or evolution?

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Thu Jun 16 01:48:56 EDT 2022

… but I’m excited about slide 15 !

"Heat, CO2, and radioactive waste are becoming measurable by-products of TCP inefficiency
Fix TCP => Save the World!”

People don’t yet focus enough on this - and it’s not only relevant in a data center context. See also:

Michael Welzl: "Not a Trade-Off: On the Wi-Fi Energy Efficiency of Effective Internet Congestion Control", IEEE/IFIP WONS 2022, virtual, 30 March - 1 April 2022.
Preprint: https://folk.universitetetioslo.no/michawe/research/publications/wons2022_authors_version.pdf <https://folk.universitetetioslo.no/michawe/research/publications/wons2022_authors_version.pdf>

A couple of IETFs ago, I did sign up to present something along these lines at an ICCRG meeting, but I asked late and got squeezed into an “if time permits” slot; some day in the future I’ll ask for a “proper slot” to elaborate on this.

Cheers,
Michael