[Bloat] summarizing the bitag latency report?

Dave Collier-Brown dave.collier-Brown at indexexchange.com
Sat Nov 12 16:59:52 EST 2022

The paper talks about mechanism, not effect. We need to refactor before we can summarize

I've pitched it to my colleagues by saying what problem it causes us, rather than how it does it.

Latency pisses Joyce off.

When we fetch a page, parts of it appear first, then others, then banner ads, and then some of the images, all while we're trying to read it in order. My wife hates that.  Oh, and we have jitter and dropouts in video meetings, too.

We've bought tons of bandwidth, but "end-user experience" isn't improving.  That's because we've been trying to improve our performance by improving something that's easy to buy, but only helps a little bit.

Then I described what we did about it, and recommended the BITAG paper for an understanding, and a new router for a local solution.

Once I'd done that refactoring, I could sit down and say that the summation is

  1.  working latency makes its victims angry at the internet
  2.  we've been doing something to fix it that only helps a little bit

and the reader immediately responds with the solution: "well, don't do that!".

You have to build from there to the full problem, the politics and the economics. Then you can look at the solutions, and narrow them down until you can conclude with "do this instead"

--dave