[Bloat] [Make-wifi-fast] The most wonderful video ever about bufferbloat

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Sat Oct 22 16:34:52 EDT 2022

On 10/22/22 12:47, Sebastian Moeller wrote:

> [SM] None of the real life models are all that well fitting for the problem, information simply is different from tangible objects in that dropping and resending on failure are less problematic. But that means that all "intuitive" analogies are out and trying to explain internet congestion and remedies with telegrams or even letters does not really help all that much (and in both cases dropping was rare and considered a failure not part of normal operations as far as I can see).

Hmm yes. I am trying to think of real world analogies where if a
delivery is not on time it gets dropped.

What about practicing tennis with a robotic ball launcher? If it
launches at too fast a rate the player won't be able to hit them all.

Also what about the Guitar Hero style games, where if you don't play the
proper note falling down the screen, the music gets compoundingly worse.
Maybe a good example for the bufferbloat worst-case thundering herd
failure. I vaguely remember other games where failing to do something on
time made it harder to do the next thing on time and it got worse quickly.

Here's another classic I just thought of, "I Love Lucy" in the chocolate
factory :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnHiAWlrYQc

That might make a good example in a talk.

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org