[Bloat] Easiest/most effective way to test software against adverse networks?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 15:54:31 EDT 2023

Dear Stephen:

Google gcc is a hybrid delay/loss webrtc protocol that is part of most
browsers today, and quite a few SFUs. It has been around since 2012 or
so. An RFC for it was started, here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-rmcat-gcc-02

But as it grew to dominate the market, the source code(s) for it
became the best reference, and the effort to standardize, abandoned.

It is, IMHO, more an IH, than NIH.

That said, an awful lot of videoconferencing takes place over more
proprietary implementations of congestion control today, and only the
authors know how it works.

On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 12:30 PM Stephen Hemminger via Bloat
<bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Aug 2023 13:35:40 -0400
> Sean DuBois via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> > I am working on improving Pion's Google Congestion Control algorithm
> > https://github.com/pion/interceptor/tree/master/pkg/gcc. As I start to use
> > it in more real world networks I find flaws.
> >
> > How are people testing software today? Is 'Traffic Control' the best option?
>

> Netem works but there are artifacts from the emulation.
>
> But my view on congestion control is that this sounds like Google
> doing NIH reinvention. Happens when you hire a lot of smart people
>
> "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it"

Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxmoBr4cBKg
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos