[Bloat] [Starlink] Instant Messaging Meets Video Conferencing: Studying the Performance of IM Video Calls

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 11:30:55 EDT 2023

On Sat, Jul 1, 2023 at 12:23 AM Rodney W. Grimes
<starlink at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> > This paper does a really good job of measuring the impacts of tcp
> > cross traffic, including BBRv2, against the videoconferencing
> > subsystems in signal, telegram, and whatsapp.
>
> Did I miss something?  The paper only shows a dumb bell topology with
> instream traffic, I did not see any cross flow traffic testing.

Do we share the same definition of cross traffic? The testbed consists
of fifo, codel, and fq_codel queues, against 1-2 tcp flows, against a
p2p videoconferencing flow.

I am sometimes just as subject to confirmation bias as the next guy,
and in re-reading this this morning I would have liked it if they had
cited rfc8290, and extended their tests to use a bigger BDP for the
fifo as well as tested web PLT. a shorter RTT would also be
interesting in the case of a ptp app such as this.

An exciting part to me remains in exploring the videoconferencing QoE
technique they discuss (Brisque) which I haven´t found sources for
yet...

> > https://tma.ifip.org/2023/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2023/06/tma2023-final37.pdf
> >
> > Naturally fq_codel shines. The paper also introduces a new means of
> > measuring videoconferenceQoE, called BRISQUE.
> >
> > About my only kvetch is they didn't try cake, which has a different
> > shaper, drops less packets, has less collisions, as well as diffserv
> > support.
> >
> > Seeing BBRv2 stats and impact was very interesting also.
> >

> > --
> > Podcast: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7058793910227111937/
> > Dave T?ht CSO, LibreQos

Podcast: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7058793910227111937/