[Bloat] LibreQos v1.4-rc9 is out

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 11:47:21 EDT 2023

We could use some more fresh eyeballs setting this up at home or
elsewhere, so we can at least handle some fit and finish issues, as
well as establish a roadmap for the subsequent v1.5 release.
Get it here: https://github.com/LibreQoE/LibreQoS/releases/tag/v1.4-rc9
- some pictures of the new analytics are in there.... please file bugs
on the github... join the chat...

I would really like to see some more folk putting this in-band with
their starlink connection in particular, sampling at 10ms intervals,
but also 4 and 5G devices (anyone got a few e-node bs?),  as I have
some delusions of *also* getting it to work with the algorithms in
cake-autorate, which hit version 3.01 a few days ago. (
https://github.com/lynxthecat/cake-autorate/releases/tag/v3.0.0 ), in
the v1.5 timeframe.

We can look at this LibreQos release candidate in two ways. Either
v1.4 is months and months late (and it is!), or several of the
features we planned for v1.5 are months and months early (and they
are, including some new analytical methods nobody has ever seen
before)! We have dozens of happy ISPs using it now, and over 160k
known shaped devices using the CAKE algorithms (via our opt-in stats).
We believe rc9 will be the last step towards formally releasing v1.4.
Please give it a shot. Hopefully in addition to fixing ISPs there will
be some useful cloud applications for it. The best way to get on it
quickly is to join our chatroom, but we do hope that the documentation
has improved to the point where someone can get the basics running
over a weekend. Feedback wanted!

 A huge thanks to all our existing donors! and we are deeply grateful
to Equinix for their donation of hardware for our testbed, but we
could do so much more (and faster) if this was not a spare time
activity for those involved. There is a donations page on the
github... anyone know of potential funders?

We could also use some more volunteers with a QA background, others
with UI and of course, anyone with python or rust or C experience is
welcomed into the main project, but I have to warn: Fixing the
internet with LibreQos has been an inspiring fight for so many, but so
far, comes with only karmic rewards (and improved personal networks -
the chat room is a wonderful shared pool of industry experience that I
love being in! please join https://matrix.to/#/#libreqos:matrix.org )
Another big need is to find more people with the skills and
connections to move our efforts to the next level and help us get the
world to 100s of millions more well-shaped devices over the next
years, as fq_codel and cake roll out across more CPE.

--
Podcast: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7058793910227111937/
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos