[Bloat] SQM tuning question

John D j.w.r.dexter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 09:56:26 EDT 2023

Hi,

On the website it says the following:

*CoDel is a novel “no knobs”, “just works”, “handles variable bandwidth and
RTT”, and simple AQM algorithm.*

   - *It is parameterless — no knobs are required for operators, users, or
   implementers to adjust.*
   - *It treats good queue and bad queue differently - that is, it keeps
   the delays low while permitting bursts of traffic.*
   - *It controls delay, while insensitive to round-trip delays, link
   rates, and traffic loads.*
   - *It adapts to dynamically changing link rates with no negative impact
   on utilization.*

But everywhere I have read about about hardware which implements SQM
(including the bufferbloat website) it describes the need to tune based on
actual internet connection speed.
These seem to conflict especially that "handles variable bandwidth" bit.
Have I misunderstood or do the algorithms used in modern hardware just not
provide this part typically? My connection performance is quite variable
and I'm worried about crippling SQM to the lowest speed seen.

Thanks for any help.