[Bloat] SQM tuning question

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sun Jun 4 14:48:48 EDT 2023

Have a look at:

cake-autorate: https://github.com/lynxthecat/cake-autorate/blob/master/cake-autorate.sh
lua sqm-autorate: https://github.com/sqm-autorate/sqm-autorate
perl sqm-autorate: https://github.com/tievolu/sqm-autorate

all three use active latency probes to detect an increase in delay and interpret that as increase in queueing delay which happens if the offered load exceeds the available capacity, and all three will, by slightly different heuristics, adjust the traffic shaper so that latency under loads stays (mostly) within acceptable (configurable) limits.
Note the "organic" traffic over the link is measured and used as "load" so no cyclic saturating speedtest is necessary.

I think that evenroute's iqrouter uses a different approach in that they periodically perform speedtests and then set the traffic shaper in accordance to that result.

However the three different *-autorates should be runnable on essentially every linux distribution, while for evenroute's implementation one would need to buy their hardware IIRC.

Best Regards
	Sebastian