[Bloat] SQM tuning question

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sun Jun 4 15:55:41 EDT 2023

Hi Aaron,

> On Jun 3, 2023, at 20:04, Aaron Wood via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> I’ve found that _usually_ I can set cake’s bandwidth limits to 90-95% of the advertised bandwidth, and everything “just works”.  So long as you’re routinely able to achieve the bandwidth, it tends to work.
>
> I’ve found in my testing over the years (I’ve been a user of fq_codel since 2013) that limiting the upstream bandwidth is the most important one to do.  Downstream bandwidth limits, especially if you have well above 100Mbps downstream aren’t as critical, but it still can make a big difference if you routinely saturate your downstream connection.
>
> It’s especially important to manage the upstream bandwidth when the connection is asymmetric.  For instance my 1Gbps Comcast internet service only has a 35Mbps upstream limit, which is just a bit more than you need for the acks that go back upstream in response to 1Gbps of downstream traffic.
>
> But if your connection quality suffers with time of day (congestion on shared local ISP infrastructure), or due to weather (radio links can degrade during the rain), then that can be a bit more annoying.
>
> But as I said, I’ve found with my Comcast connection that I can just set my bandwidth limits to 90-95% of advertised and it just works.
>
> The other thing to look into is DNS.  Most of the weird pauses that I see are, DNS related.  I e switches to using a local DNS cache/lookup-forwarding server, and use DNS over HTTPS to parallel requests to both cloudflare and google’s HTTPS DNS proxies.  That seems to be more stable (long-lived connections with faster recovery from a dropped packed than UDP has).
>
> (More continued below)
>
> On Sat, Jun 3, 2023 at 10:17 AM John D via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the detail. It makes sense but it kind of feels like in some (maybe many) cases the router could know the internet link performance. Particularly home router-modems often monitor this already. Maybe that's just not exposed in any standardised way?
>
> There are two issues I’ve seen here:
>
> 1) there’s not a standardized way (or even usually any api) for getting the provisioned rate, or the current link speed, from the modem portion of things.
>
> 2) local congestion at the ISP can degrade things below the provisioned rates, and that’s even harder to detect or have available.
>
> If your upstream connection is DOCSIS 3.1, you should have the PIE AQM running in the modem, which _should_ help considerably.  But at least at my cable headend, while downstream runs DOCSIS 3.1, upstream is only DOCSIS 3.0, and definitely isn’t using PIE.
>
> The PIE AQM, running on the modem itself has the advantage of running on what is almost always the bottle neck for upstream traffic in my experience:  the provisioned upstream bandwidth in the modem.

	[SM] Even better, the cable modem requests mini-slots from the scheduler and really has control over the true upstream queue, so even in an overloaded segment (where mini-slot scheduling gets slow) the PIE instance sees the relevant queueing delay to do its thing even if the current rate is well below the "provisioned" rate (which is just a maximum peak rate anyway). Now this will only help for congestion in the DOCSIS segment, as you said that is likely to be the most likely cause for upstream delay anyways...