[Bloat] Two questions re high speed congestion management anddatagram protocols

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Mon Jun 26 23:41:59 EDT 2023

Sorry for top posting, but ... Bigger question:
Why would DCCP be deprecated by Linux kernel?
Who makes that decision? Who argues against it?

It's a pretty good approach to properly congestion controlling many non-TCP communications protocols that might be implemented on UDP and lack good congestion control otherwise.
E.g. QUIC or RTP (for non CBR traffic) or various RPC-style  protocols. Larry Peterson recently wrote a piece asking why RPC wasn't well supported in distributed computing even after almost 50 years. Lack of Conception Control that works is a big issue. QUIC ain't it. QUiC is a HTTP replacement for REST protocol sementics.

So why discard a good thing that works?