[Bloat] [Starlink] [Rpm] [LibreQoS] [EXTERNAL] Re: Researchers Seeking Probe Volunteers in USA

Jeremy Austin jeremy at aterlo.com
Mon Mar 13 15:52:07 EDT 2023

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 12:34 PM dan <dandenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> See, you're coming around.  Cake is autorating (or very close, 'on
> device') at the wan port.  not the speed test device or software.  And
> the accurate data is collected by cake, not the speed test tool.  That
> tool is reporting false information because it must, it doesn't know
> the other consumers on the network.  It's 'truest' when the network is
> quiet but the more talkers the more the tool lies.
>
> cake, the kernel, and the wan port all have real info, the speed test
> tool does not.

I'm running a bit behind on commenting on the thread (apologies, more
later) but I point you back at my statement about NTIA (and, to a certain
extent, the FCC):

Consumers use speed tests to qualify their connection.

Whether AQM is applied or not, a speed test does not reflect in all
circumstances the capacity of the pipe. One might argue that it seldom
reflects it.

Unfortunately, those who have "real info", to use Dan's term, are currently
nearly powerless to use it. I am, if possible, on both the ISP and consumer
side here.

And yes, Preseem does have an iron in this fire, or at least a dog in this
fight.

Ironically, the FCC testing for CAF/RDOF actually *does* take interface
load into account, only tests during peak busy hours, and /then/ does a
speed test. But NTIA largely ignores that for BEAD.

Jeremy Austin
Sr. Product Manager
Preseem | Aterlo Networks
preseem.com