[Bloat] [Starlink] [Rpm] [LibreQoS] [EXTERNAL] Re: Researchers Seeking Probe Volunteers in USA

dan dandenson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 17:27:04 EDT 2023

 I’m sticking to my guns on this, but am prepared to let this particular
argument rest.  The threads is approaching unreadable.

Let me throw something else out there.  It would be very nice to have some
standard packet type that was designed to be mangled by a traffic shaper.
So you could initiate a speed test specifically to stress-test the link and
then exchange a packet that the shaper would update both ways with all the
stats you might want.  Ie, speed test is getting 80Mbps but there’s an
additional 20Mbps on-link so it should report to the user that 100M
aggregate with the details broken out usably.  Could also report to that
speed test client and server things like latency over the last x minutes
along with throughput so again, could be charted out to show the ‘good put’
and similar numbers.  Basically, provide the end user with decently
accurate data that includes what the speed test app wasn’t able to see
itself.  It could also insert useful data around how many packets arrived
that the speed test app(s) could use to determine if there are issues on
wan or lan.

I say mangle here because many traffic shapers are transparent so the speed
test app itself doesn’t really have a way to ask the shaper directly.

My point in all of this is that if you’re giving the end user information,
it should be right.  No information is better than false information.  End
users will call their ISP or worse get on social media and trash them
because they bought a $29 netgear at Walmart that is terrible.

After all the entire point if all of this is end-user experience.  The only
benefit to ISPs is that happy users are good for business.  A lot of the
data that can be collected at various points along the path are better for
ISPs to use to update their networks to improve user experience, but aren’t
so useful to the 99% of users that just want low ‘lag’ on their games and
no buffering.