[Bloat] [Starlink] [LibreQoS] [Rpm] On FiWi

David Lang david at lang.hm
Wed Mar 15 15:33:47 EDT 2023

if you want another example of the failure, look at any conference center, they
have a small number of APs with wide coverage. It works well when the place is
empty and they walk around and test it, but when it fills up with users, the
entire network collapses.

Part of this is that wifi was really designed for sparse environments, so it's
solution to "I didn't get my message through" is to talk slower (and louder if
possible), which just creates more interference for other users and reduces the
available airtime.

I just finished the Scale conference in Pasadena, CA. We deployed over 100 APs
for the conference, up to 7 in a room, on the floor (so that the attendees
bodies attenuate the signal) at low power so that the channels could be re-used
more readily.

in the cell phone world they discovered 'microcells' years ago, but with wifi
too many people are still trying to cover the max area with the fewest possible
number of radios. As Dan says, it just doesn't work.

and on mesh radios, you need to not just use a different channel for your
uplink, you need a different band to avoid desense on the connection to your
users. And that uplink is going to have the same hidden transmitter and airtime
problems competing with the other nodes also doing the uplink that it's
scalability is very limited (even with directional antennas). Wire/fiber for the
uplink is much better.

David Lang