[Bloat] Annoyed at 5/1 Mbps...

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 07:26:48 EDT 2023

> On Mar 21, 2023, at 1:21 AM, Frantisek Borsik via Rpm <rpm at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> Now, I hope to really piss You off with the following statement  :-P but:
>
> even sub 5/1 Mbps “broadband” in Africa with bufferbloat fixed on as many hops along the internet journey from a data center to the customers mobile device (or with just LibreQoS middle box in the ISP’s network) is feeling way better than 25Gbps XG-PON. The only time the XG-PON guy could really feel like a king of the world would be during his speedtest.

Nope. Sorry - this doesn't piss me off :-) It's just true.

- 7mbps/768kbps DSL with an IQrouter works fine for two simultaneous Zoom conferences. (Even though no one would think that it's fast.)
- I recommend people on a budget drop their ISP speed so they can afford a router that does SQM https://forum.openwrt.org/t/so-you-have-500mbps-1gbps-fiber-and-need-a-router-read-this-first/90305/40 <https://forum.openwrt.org/t/so-you-have-500mbps-1gbps-fiber-and-need-a-router-read-this-first/90305/40>

The people that get annoyed are those who just upgraded to 1Gbps service and still are getting fragged in their games.

Rich