[Bloat] [Rpm] [Starlink] [LibreQoS] On FiWi

Frantisek Borsik frantisek.borsik at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 14:51:04 EDT 2023

I do believe that we all want to get the best - latency and speed,
hopefully, in this particular order :-)
The problem was that from the very beginning of the Internet (yeah, I was
still not here, on this planet, when it all started), everything was
optimised for speed, bandwidth and other numbers, but not so much for
bufferbloat in general.
Some of the things that goes into it in the need for speed, are directly
against the fixing latency...and it was not setup for it. Gamers and Covid
(work from home, the need for the enterprise network but in homes...)
brings it into conversation, thankfully, and now we will deal with it.

Also, there is another thing I see and it's *a negative sentiment against
anything business* (monetisation of, say - lower latency solutions) in
general. If it comes from the general geeky/open source/etc folks, I can
understand it a bit. But it comes also from the business people - assuming
some of You works in big corporations or run ISPs. I'm all against
cronyism, but to throw out the baby with the bathwater - to say that doing
business (i.e. getting paid for delivering something that is missing/fixing
something that is implementing insufficiently) is wrong, to look at it with
disdain, is asinine.

This has the connection with the general "Net Neutrality" (NN) sentiment. I
have 2 suggestions for reading from the other side of the aisle, on this
topic: https://www.martingeddes.com/1261-2
<https://www.martingeddes.com/1261-2>/ (Martin was censored by all major
social media back then, during the days of NN fight in the FCC and
elsewhere.) Second thing is written by one and only Dave Taht:
https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/net_neutrality_customers/

*To conclude, we need to find the way how to benchmark and/or communicate
(translate, if You will) the whole variety of the quality of network
statistics/metrics (which are complex) *like QoE, QoS, latency, jitter,
bufferbloat...to something, that is meaningful for the end user. See this
short proposition of the* Quality of Outcome* by Domos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=MRmcWyIVXvg&t=4185s
There is definitely a lot of work on this - and also on the finding the
right benchmark and its actual measurement side, but it's a step in the
right direction.

*Looking forward to seeing Your take on that proposed Quality of Outcome.
Thanks a lot.*

All the best,

Frank

Frantisek (Frank) Borsik

https://www.linkedin.com/in/frantisekborsik

Signal, Telegram, WhatsApp: +421919416714

iMessage, mobile: +420775230885

Skype: casioa5302ca

frantisek.borsik at gmail.com