[Bloat] On fiber as critical infrastructure w/Comcast chat

rjmcmahon rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com
Sat Mar 25 16:27:52 EDT 2023

To be fair, this isn't unique to Comcast. I hit similar issues in NYC
with Verizon.

I think we really need to educate people that life support capable
communications networks are now critical infrastructure.

And, per climate impact, we may want to add Jaffe's network power
(capacity over delay) over distance & energy. Fixed wireless offerings
are an energy waste and generate excessive type 2 emissions. A cell
tower is about 1-5kW for 60 connections or roughly 100-500W per remote
client at 1 Gb/s with high latencies. A FiWi network will require 3-5W
for 2.8 Gb/s and speed of light over fiber ultra low latencies.

I think we really need our broadband providers to lead here and that
fiber to WiFi is the only viable end game if we care about our impacts.

"The average cellular base station, which comprises the tower and the
radio equipment attached to it, can use anywhere from about one to five
kilowatts (kW), depending on whether the radio equipment is housed in an
air-conditioned building, how old the tower is and how many transceivers
are in the base station. Most of the energy is used by the radio to
transmit and receive cell-phone signals."

Bob