[Bloat] [Starlink] On fiber as critical infrastructure w/Comcast chat

rjmcmahon rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com
Sun Mar 26 14:54:36 EDT 2023

Thanks for this. Yeah, I can understand MDUs are complex and present
unique issues for both their Boards and companies to service them.
Condo trusts, LLC non profits, co-ops, etc. Too many attorneys to boot.
My attorney fees cost more than my training youth to install FiWi infra.
The expensive, existing cos are asking $80K per building. The fire alarm
installer is asking $100K per building. I figure we can get both for
less than $180K but it's going to take some figuring out. And once we
sink the money, it needs to be world-class with swappable parts. Others
may then notice and follow suit.

Then for dark fiber to a private colo about 1.5 miles away the ask is
$5K per month. Buy my own switch and SFPs. Peering and ISP services are
not included.

So I do see the value Comcast brings. I think a challenge is that
different options are needed for different customers. That's why I think
pluggable optics, serdes and cmos radios are critical to the design for
when we eventually go full fiber & wireless for the last meters.

Bob