[Bloat] [Starlink] On fiber as critical infrastructure w/Comcast chat

rjmcmahon rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com
Tue Mar 28 14:46:59 EDT 2023

There are municipal broadband projects. Most are in rural areas
partially funded by the federal government via the USDA. Glasgow started
a few decades ago. Similar to LUS in Lafayette, LA.
https://www.usda.gov/broadband

Rural areas get a lot of federal money for things, a la the farm bill
which also pays for food stamps instituted as part of the New Deal after
the Great Depression.

https://sustainableagriculture.net/our-work/campaigns/fbcampaign/what-is-the-farm-bill/

None of this is really relevant to the vast majority of our urban
populations that get broadband from investor-owned companies. These
companies don't receive federal subsidies though sometimes they get
access to municipal revenue bonds when doing city infrastructures.

Bob