[Bloat] Enabling a production model

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 09:40:52 EDT 2023

Doc: thank you for giving me a way to express the promise of fiber to
enable a better "production model",
in what you wrote below.

Btw, folks, I am doing an AMA with broadband.io on friday, with a live
chat. It is a chance for us techies to engage more directly with the
state directors with $70B of government funding as part of the NTIA
BEAD program and others like internet4all - and to help focus them on
things that would result in a genuinely better internet. I plan to
focus more on reducing latency and improving interoperability than
bufferbloat, but I have no idea what will happen. "This broadband of
which you speak... does it have IPv6?".

Please come!? I would love it if more folk with experience all around
the world, in what can be done right and wrong with a broadband
rollout, if they showed up to help us here in the USA.

https://www.broadband.io/c/broadband-grant-events/dave-taht

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 6:22 AM Doc Searls via Starlink
<starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> Always a mistake to generalize from a sample of one, but in my case I have four, because I live in four places. So I like to think that, to some degree, I represent a kind of market demand.
>
> All those places—Santa Barbara (CA), New York (NY), Bloomington (IN), and San Marino (CA)—are served by cable monopolies (Cox, Spectrum, Comcast/Xfinity) that provide (or at least claim) 1 Gb service... downstream of course. One (Cox) provides 36 Mb of upstream capacity. The other two provide just 10 Mb.  Because of that, residents have no option to do much work, or to store large amounts of data, in clouds (to mention just one grace of upstream capacity). The market is rigged for consumption, not production, on the TV model. Same as it has been since commercial activity began to explode in 1995, when John Perry Barlow wrote Death From Above. It's killer. Please read it: https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/203356.203358.

I have been citing that piece left and right lately.

> But here in Bloomington, where I am writing now, the city has come up with a public/private arrangement that has much promise:
>
> https://www.bloomington.in.gov/fiber

I think the smartest thing any city can do to start with, is to
establish a good ole-fashioned internet exchange point there, require
those providing service in the city to interconnect,

> [...]
>
> On Mar 29, 2023, at 8:27 AM, Dave Collier-Brown via Starlink <starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>

> On 3/29/23 04:28, Sebastian Moeller via Starlink wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
>

> On Mar 28, 2023, at 19:47, rjmcmahon <rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com> wrote:
>
> Interesting. I'm skeptical that our cities in the U.S. can get this (structural separation) right.
>
> There really isn't that much to get wrong, you built the access network and terminate the per household fibers in arge enough "exchanges" there you offer ISPs to lighten up the fibers on the premise that customers can use any ISP they want (that is present in the exchange)... and on ISP change will just be patched differently in the exchange.
> While I think that local "government" also could successfully run internet access services, I see no reason why they should do so (unless there is no competition).
> The goal here is to move the "natural monopoly" of the access network out of the hand of the "market" (as markets simply fail as optimizing resource allocation instruments under mono- and oligopoly conditions, on either side).
>

> We see  the same issue in Canada: some provinces and cities happily
> manage the delivery of services over cables hung from province-owned
> poles (eg, TCP/IP in New Brunswick).  Other provinces did less well, and
> we have "telephone poles" and "hydro poles" on the same street (in
> Toronto, Ontario)
>
> There is no real difference between New Brunswick, Ontario or, for that
> matter, Minnesota. If a province or city has operated natural monopolies
> like the last mile for water and sewer, it can operate the last mile for
> any other monopoly.
>
> --dave
>
> --
> David Collier-Brown,         | Always do right. This will gratify
> System Programmer and Author | some people and astonish the rest
> dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com |              -- Mark Twain
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER : This telecommunication, including any and all attachments, contains confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and delete the message from your inbox and deleted items folders. This telecommunication does not constitute an express or implied agreement to conduct transactions by electronic means, nor does it constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment or an acceptance of a contract offer. Contract terms contained in this telecommunication are subject to legal review and the completion of formal documentation and are not binding until same is confirmed in writing and has been signed by an authorized signatory.

AMA March 31: https://www.broadband.io/c/broadband-grant-events/dave-taht
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC