[Bloat] [LibreQoS] Enabling a production model

David Lang david at lang.hm
Wed Mar 29 16:03:21 EDT 2023

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023, dan wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2023 at 11:13:07 AM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Mar 2023, dan via Bloat wrote:
>>
>> Even in the big cities where there is enough density, the results aren't
>> pretty.
>> lines
>> in places like New York City before the monopolies were setup. Moving to
>> the
>> regulated monoopolies was hailed by users as a win from that chaos
>> (including
>> deliberate sabatage of competitors)
>>
>> I'm in a Los Angeles Suburb, and until recently, I couldn't even get fast
>> cable
>> service to my home, the city owned fiber will be a huge win for me, and I
>> can
>> still have my starlink dish, cell phone, or (once they cover my area) a
>> wireless
>> ISP as a backup
>>
>> David Lang
>>

> When you said ‘even with’ you negated the previous point.  ‘Even with’
> incredible density the monopoly structure of broadband in America today
> makes competition beaurocratically hard.  That should be the place where we
> see fierce competition.

the monopoly structure prevents the competition, what was I not clear about
related to that?

even in places where google fiber attempted to be competition, the incumbant
monopoly blocked them by just being inconvienient with positioning fiber and got
away with it. That's better than the old days of telephone service in NYC where
competitors would cut other people's wires, but not by a lot.

David Lang