[Bloat] ookla speedtests on 5G

Ingemar Johansson S ingemar.s.johansson at ericsson.com
Tue May 9 01:59:31 EDT 2023

Hi

I reacted mostly on the extremely low throughput in the top post in the twitter thread, it is possible that radio link failure caused a large amount of bloat in this case.
The amount of buffer bloat in 5G systems is quite vendor specific. So it is hard to give any good numbers what one can expect.
But sure, seconds of bloat is gross overkill and possible evidence that AQM is disabled. Typically the AQM on the network side handles the downlink traffic, while for the uplink traffic the AQM needs to be on the modem side.
L4S, which is being standardized in 3GPP can reduce bloat quite considerably, but one need to realize that L4S does perhaps not fit for all traffic.
See page 5 in https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/115/materials/slides-115-iccrg-5g-and-l4s-congestion-control-considerations-00

/Ingemar