[Bloat] infinite queue

Neil Davies neil.davies at pnsol.com
Thu May 11 16:00:00 EDT 2023

There was an idea (I think from the 1970’s) that is refinement of this - isometric flow control.

I would say that the key notion (expressed here) is that the ‘work in progress’ is finite - the isometric concept is a refinement on that, in that it says “there is some number”.

Also, subtly implicit in this article is that the best you can aspire to is 80% loading. Using the isometric concept (carefully!) I’ve help create system that can predictably operate at high 90% loading.

Limiting the work-in-progress ensures a bound on the response-delay.

Neil