[Bloat] [NNagain] A good question - do you know how a toilet works?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 15:46:15 EDT 2023

That is a really beautiful selection. In my case highly influential on
me were reading Ed Bernay's book on "public relations", Chomsky's
"Manufacturing Consent", and "The medium is the massage." Buckminster
Fullers enthusiasm for the future, and "Spaceship earth", also had a
big influence on me.

In terms of environmental disasters, "Building Six", by Willard Randal
had merit, as did "silent spring", and "unsafe at any speed". In
contrast, "safe at any speed", by Larry Niven, is worth reading also,
and shorter!  I do not know of a good book on the Superfund cleanup
story, but I remember how the Clean Air act ultimately made it
possible to view philadelphia from the other side of the George
Washington Bridge.

On Wed, Oct 4, 2023 at 12:40 PM rjmcmahon <rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com> wrote:

> Some books I found worth reading
>
> https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674416833
>
> Eden on the Charles
> The Making of Boston
> Michael Rawson
>
> Eden on the Charles explores how Bostonians channeled country lakes
> through miles of pipeline to provide clean water; dredged the ocean to
> deepen the harbor; filled tidal flats and covered the peninsula with
> houses, shops, and factories; and created a metropolitan system of parks
> and greenways, facilitating the conversion of fields into suburbs. The
> book shows how, in Boston, different class and ethnic groups brought
> rival ideas of nature and competing visions of a “city upon a hill” to
> the process of urbanization—and were forced to conform their goals to
> the realities of Boston’s distinctive natural setting. The outcomes of
> their battles for control over the city’s development were ultimately
> recorded in the very fabric of Boston itself. In Boston’s history, we
> find the seeds of the environmental relationships that—for better or
> worse—have defined urban America to this day.
>
> https://upittpress.org/books/9780822961475/#:~:text=Jacobson's%20Ties%20That%20Bind%20is,the%20course%20of%20two%20centuries.
>
> Ties That Bind
> By Charles Jacobson
>
> In the early days of utility development, municipalities sought to shape
> the new systems in a variety of ways even as private firms struggled to
> retain control and fend off competition. In scope and consequence, some
> of the battles dwarfed the contemporary one between local jurisdictions
> and cable companies over broadband access to the Internet. In this
> comparative historical study, Jacobson draws upon economic theory to
> shed light on relationships between technology, market forces, and
> problems of governance that have arisen in connection with different
> utility networks over the past two hundred years. He focuses on water,
> electric, and cable television utility networks and on experiences in
> four major American cities — Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, and
> Pittsburgh, arguing that information and transactions costs have played
> decisive roles in determining how different ownership and regulatory
> arrangements have functioned in different situations.Using primary
> sources and bold conceptualizations, Jacobson begins his study by
> examining the creation of centralized water systems in the first half of
> the nineteenth century, moves to the building of electric utilities from
> the 1880s to the 1980s, and concludes with an analysis of cable
> television franchising from the 1960s to the 1980s. Ties That Bind
> addresses highly practical questions of how to make ownership,
> regulatory, and contracting arrangements work better and also explores
> broader concerns about private monopoly and the role of government in
> society.
>
> Bob
> [...]

Oct 30: https://netdevconf.info/0x17/news/the-maestro-and-the-music-bof.html
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos