[Bloat] 80Mbit streaming

David Lang david at lang.hm
Fri Oct 6 01:26:23 EDT 2023

On Fri, 6 Oct 2023, Sebastian Moeller via Bloat wrote:

> On 5 October 2023 21:53:55 CEST, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:
>> Sebastian Moeller via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>>    > Now finally, a use case that needs at least a ~100Mbps link... question
>>    > is, how much better than the competitors streaming this is going to
>>    > look?
>>
>> What's the point?  My eyesight isn't actually that good :-)
>
> Mine neither... from my low-fi perspective, anything up to ~full hd (1920x1080) was a noticeable improvement, but e.g. going to 4K on a 43" screen does not feel any better...
> My comment was driven mostly by the observation that we are at a stage where (at the forefront of deployment) we make rates available far beyond what is necessary, e.g. in Switzerland xgspon which is marketed as up to 10 Gbps per user. The only things so far are 'more parallel' and 'faster downloads',  so the 80 Mbps streaming is novel in a sense even though of arguable utility.

heh, back in college (mid 90's) my least favorite instructor (Advanced
Networking) class told us that there would soon be so much bandwidth available
that nobody would know what to do ith it and it would be up to us to invent new
uses.

that struck me as being extremely short sighted even then.

David Lang