[Bloat] retransmit cost over cellular

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Mon Sep 18 15:37:56 EDT 2023

> what apps do you have on the phone and what are they configured to update?
> that will make a huge difference.

It's not about my phone, it's about that of the author of the blog.

> 'idle' probably isn't nearly as passive as you think it is.

My personal phone is almost completely idle when I'm not using it.  In the
last 10 days, I've had access to my laptop, and the phone claims it has
used up 526kB of mobile data, while my provider claims I've used up 210kB.
I suspect almost all of that is for AGPS.

(But then, I'm running LineageOS without Gapps and I only install free
software.  So I'm fairly certain the phone doesn't speak any REST-like
protocols behind my back.)

-- Juliusz