[Bloat] [Rpm] net neutrality back in the news

rjmcmahon rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com
Wed Sep 27 23:33:35 EDT 2023

Common Carriage goes way beyond our lifes. Eli Noam's write up in 1994
is a good one.

http://www.columbia.edu/dlc/wp/citi/citinoam11.html

Beyond Liberalization II:
The Impending Doom of Common Carriage
Eli M. Noam
Professor of Finance and Economics
Columbia University, Graduate School of Business
March 15, 1994

I. Introduction 1

This article argues that the institution of common carriage,
historically the foundation of the way telecommunications are delivered,
will not survive. To clarify: "common carriers" (the misnomer often used
to refer to telephone companies) will continue to exist, but the status
under which they operate -- offering service on a non-discriminatory
basis, neutral as to use and user -- will not.

VII. A Contract-Carrier Based Telecommunications System?

The conclusion of the analysis has been that common carriage will erode
in time, and that a hybrid co-existence will not be stable. This is not
to say that the common carriers qua carriers will become extinct; many
of them will remain significant players, but they will conduct their
business as contract carriers. But common carriage as such will
disappear. This will not happen overnight, of course. Intermediate
arrangements can buy several decades of transition time. But the basic
dynamics will eventually assert themselves.

This conclusion is reached with much regret, because the socially
positive aspects of common carriage are strong, and because the absence
to common carriage often means gatekeeper power. But we should not let
preferences obscure the clarity of analysis.

Bob