[Bloat] [Starlink] [LibreQoS] [Rpm] net neutrality back in the news

David Lang david at lang.hm
Thu Sep 28 18:19:28 EDT 2023

On Thu, 28 Sep 2023, Livingood, Jason via Bloat wrote:

> Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 20:48:58 +0000
> From: "Livingood, Jason via Bloat" <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net>
> To: dan <dandenson at gmail.com>, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com>
> Cc: Rpm <rpm at lists.bufferbloat.net>,
>     Dave Taht via Starlink <starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net>,
>     bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net>,
>     libreqos <libreqos at lists.bufferbloat.net>,
>     Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs at mojatatu.com>
> Subject: Re: [Bloat] [Starlink] [LibreQoS] [Rpm] net neutrality back in the
>     news
>
>> dan <dandenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "(I assume most ISPs want happy customers)."

>> made me laugh a little.  'Most' by quantity of businesses maybe, but 'most'
>> in terms of customers being served by puts the Spectrums and Comcasts in the
>> mix (in the US) and they don't care about happy customers they care about
>> defacto monopolies in markets so that they don't have to care about happy
>> customers.
>
> In that context, happy customers stay longer (less churn) and spend more
> (upgrades, multiple services). And unhappy customers generate costs via
> disconnects (loss of revenue, costs to replace them with a new customer to
> just stay at the same subscriber levels), and costs via customer contacts
> (call center staff).

Except when you have a monopoly in an area, at which point the ability of
customers to leave is minimal, and years of bad customer service means that
people don't bother complaining, so the call center staffing costs are lower
than they should be.

>> For the last mile, I'm actually less concerned with pure NN and more concerned with no-blocking or 'brand' prioritization and required/label transparency...
>
> The two thoughts your comments (thanks for the response BTW!) trigger are:

> 1 - Often regulation looks to the past - in this case maybe an era of
> bandwidth scarcity where prioritization may have mattered. I think we're in
> the midst of a shift into bandwidth abundance where priority does not matter.
> What will is latency/responsiveness, content/compute localization,
> reliability, consistency, security, etc.

> 2 - If an ISP blocked YouTube or Netflix, they'd incur huge customer care
> (contact) costs and would see people start to immediately shift to competitors
> (5G FWA, FTTP or DOCSIS, WISP, Starlink/LEO, etc.). It just does not seem like
> something that could realistically happen any longer in the US.

Dave T called out earlier that the rise of bittorrent was a large part of the
inital NN discussion here in the US. But a second large portion was a money grab
from ISPs thinking that they could hold up large paid websites (netflix for
example) for additional fees by threatening to make their service less useful to
their users (viewing their users as an asset to be marketed to the websites
rather than customers to be satisfied by providing them access to the websites)

I don't know if a new round of "it's not fair that Netflix doesn't pay us for
the bandwidth to service them" would fall flat at this point or not.

David Lang