[Bloat] Trying to *really* understand Linux pacing

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Wed Feb 7 10:03:01 EST 2024

On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 07:05:27 -0500
Dave Taht via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> I also tend to think that attempting it in various cloudy
> environments and virtualization schemes, and with certain drivers, the
> side effects are not as well understood as I would like. For example,
> AWS's nitro lacks BQL as does virtio-net.

FYI - Microsoft Azure drivers don't do BQL either.
Both netvsc and mana.

The problem is that implementing BQL is not as easy as it looks
and has possibility of introducing bugs. One big customer with a stuck
connection totally negates any benefit!

For virtio, there have been several attempts at BQL and they never worked
perfectly.