[Bloat] RED 13 years later

Kathleen Nichols nichols at pollere.net
Sat Feb 10 12:38:54 EST 2024

A big issue is that "average queue length" was and is a terrible
indicator of congestion. But I think the first "bug" Van was referring
to was the original RED "control law" - I asked him why he thought it
would work as it really ends up looking like a step function which your
first control theory course will show is rather primitive. The thing is,
that TCP is really robust and almost anything will "work" on long-lived
TCP connections. Which is what everyone used for testing.