[Bloat] mDNS

Aaron Wood woody77 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 15:51:55 EST 2024

On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 10:52 AM Rich Brown via Bloat <
bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2024, at 12:00 PM, bloat-request at lists.bufferbloat.net wrote:
>
> On 2/26/2024 6:28 AM, Rich Brown via Bloat wrote:
>
> - Avoid the WAN port's DHCP assigned subnet (what if the ISP uses
> 192.168.1.0/24?)
>

> I recently got ATT fiber and its modem won't let me assign from
> 10.0.0.0/8! So I put a Raspberry Pi 4 in front of it.
>

> Exactly! There are no rules about what subnet range an ISP's gear will
> assign to DHCP devices.
>
> So (I believe) it becomes incumbent on OpenWrt to be smarter than the
> ISP's router (shouldn't be hard) and pick a separate subnet for its LAN &
> wireless interface. (Clearly, OpenWrt could default to 192.168.1.0/24,
> but if that's that range the ISP is using, it could switch to
> 192.168.2.0/24. I think that's all the flexibility that's required...)

I did exactly this for a product that needed to create its own subnet
inside a house.  It worked well at scale (>1M homes).

And then advertise a mDNS name to make it easy for humans to connect. Who
> would notice?

Unfortunately, it can be hard to convince browsers that you’re connecting
to a local DNS name instead of a doing a search.

- Newcomers wouldn't - they'd just connect and configure as described in