[Bloat] mDNS

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Feb 27 20:09:34 EST 2024

> On 28 Feb 2024, at 05:52, Rich Brown via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 27, 2024, at 12:00 PM, bloat-request at lists.bufferbloat.net wrote:
>>
>> On 2/26/2024 6:28 AM, Rich Brown via Bloat wrote:
>>> - Avoid the WAN port's DHCP assigned subnet (what if the ISP uses
>>> 192.168.1.0/24?)
>>
>> I recently got ATT fiber and its modem won't let me assign from
>> 10.0.0.0/8! So I put a Raspberry Pi 4 in front of it.
>
> Exactly! There are no rules about what subnet range an ISP's gear will assign to DHCP devices.

Actually there are rules.  Go read RFC 1918 and you will see it specifically excludes this use.  RFC 1918 addresses are for intra enterprise devices.  CPE devices, by function, are not intra enterprise.  CPE devices are shared devices used by both the ISP and the customer regardless of who owns the hardware.

100.64/10 is an example of a shared space for numbering CPE devices.  It was allocated specifically because RFC 1918 addresses are inappropriate for numbering CPE devices by ISPs.

Mark