[Bloat] goresponsiveness learned a few tricks...

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Jan 8 16:53:47 EST 2024

Hi Julien,

On 8 January 2024 22:04:23 CET, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at irif.fr> wrote:
>> (h++ps://github.com/network-quality/draft-ietf-ippm-responsiveness).
>
>There's quite a few good ideas in this draft, but the one that I find
>intriguing is reporting RTT values in RPM (units of 1/60 Hz) rather than
>milliseconds.

That idea, reporting the reciprocal has been around for some time, I think I first heard it from Jonathan Morton. But this is the first implementation....

Now personally I tend to think about 'latency' as sort of a budget, and then accounting where this budget is spent is easier with durations than periods. But I understand the attraction of 'bigger is better' numbers as well. Though most people also know smaller is better number, like product prices or taxes owed, but I digress.

>I wonder how well this works.  I'll experiment with undergrads.

The goresponsiveness code is quite readable and might give a convenient starting point for some quick and dirty exploration...