[Bloat] goresponsiveness learned a few tricks...

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Jan 9 02:18:20 EST 2024

Hi David,

> On Jan 9, 2024, at 00:15, David Schinazi <dschinazi.ietf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My understanding is that Apple chose to report RTT as an inverse because people are used to "higher number means better". The target audience for network speed tests is the average slightly-tech-savvy consumer, and those aren't all familiar with what latency means. Also, car enthusiasts like RPMs :-)

	Yes, I understand the rationale, I am just not buying it 100%. As I said people are well accustomed to values were "less is more" (prices, taxes, marathon times, ...) and I am not sure whether catering to the lowest common denominator is all that superior to teaching folks the relevant numbers... After all the trade-off is that now if people want to decompose or aggregate RPM values they need to deal with fractions... However for the responsiveness draft I fully accept that ship has sailed and "bigger is better" it is ;)

Regards
	Sebastian