[Bloat] "Very interesting L4S presentation from Nokia Bell Labs on tap for RIPE 88 in Krakow this week! "

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu May 23 02:16:13 EDT 2024

Hi Jason,

It is not just l4s, nqb and udp options are similarly flawed process-wise... so this is not about me being in the rough.
It is rather determination of consensus, however rough, seems under more or less sole power of the chairs (like in a court, but without a jury) and chairs are not bound to act as fair and impartial arbiters... and unlike in court there is no supposedly rigid set of rules by which to assess a chairs decision, let alone reliable methods to appeal a decision. Sure the IETF lets jockels like me participate in the process, but no, we do not have any meaningful say. Because in the end rough consensus is what the chairs declare it to be... And this is where in private strategy discussions with chairs become problematic.

Now, I understand why/how one ends up with a system like this, but thay does not make that a great or desirable system IMHO.