[Bloat] Congestion control with FQ-Codel/Cake with Multicast?

Holland, Jake jholland at akamai.com
Thu May 23 19:15:26 EDT 2024

Hi Linus,

One correction on that last message:

After sending and re-reading I belatedly realized it's completely viable to
snoop SDP over SAP if you wanted to.  So I guess it's not a non-starter if
you don't care about solving other kinds of multicast traffic in addition to
the ones in that can announce SDP to the SAP channels you can watch.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be better to make a separate service that
coordinates the channels in use since the SAP channels will probably have
to do that anyway, but on reflection I think snooping SDP is probably
more viable than I gave it credit for.  My caution there would be that in
a network where multicast can get delivered and people are using it, I
would think someone might start doing SDP outside the SAP channels at
the app level, or maybe doing other kinds of multicast traffic.  So I'd
imagine it only can lead to a partial solution, but it could be useful.

Apologies for my confusion.

Best regards,
Jake