[Cake] cake exploration

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 14:45:07 EDT 2015

12) Better starting interval and target for codel´s maintence vars in
relationship to existing flows

Right now sch_fq, sch_pie give priority to flows in their first IW
phases. This makes them vulnerable to DDOS attacks with tons of new
flows.

sch_fq_codel mitigates this somewhat by starting to hash flows into
the same buckets.

sch_cake´s more perfect hashing gives IW more of a boost.

A thought was to do a combined ewma of all active flows and to hand
their current codel settings to new flows as they arrive, with less of
a boost.

This MIGHT work better when you have short RTTs generally on local
networks. Other thoughts appreciated.

There is another related problem in the resumption portion of the
algorithm as the decay of the existing state variables is arbitrary
and way too long in some cases. I think I had solved this by coming up
with an estimate for the amount of decay needed other than count - 2,
doing a calculation from the last time a flow had packets to the next,
but can´t remember how I did it! It is easy if you have a last time
per queue and use a normal sqrt with a divide... but my brain crashes
at the reciprocal cache math we have instead....

I am not allergic to a divide. I am not allergic to using a shift for
the target and calculating the interval only relative to bandwidth, as
mentioned elsewhere. At 64k worth of bandwidth we just end up with a
huge interval, no big deal. But plan to ride along with the two
separately for now.

13)  It might be possible to write a faster codel - and easier to read
by using a case statement on the 2 core variables in it. The current
code does not show the 3 way state machine as well as that could, and
for all I know there is something intelligent we could do with the 4th
state.