[Cake] externally buildable kernel module

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 18:22:56 EDT 2015

Building cake out of tree would aid in recruiting more folk to
"just try this" on their existing debian, fedora, arch, etc
systems. Distributing an entire kernel is not the best of ideas, full
of risk and a PITA to do in general.

it is also the best way to get this into openwrt at present.  We would
still need to distribute a special iproute-tests package and git tree
to drive it, but (having crashed too many of my own kernels,
had my audio or video drivers fail, etc) am reluctant to hand end
users kernels that we have compiled ourselves.

Secondly this would give us a better way to do backports (if needed).

There are many examples out there on how to build out of tree
kernel modules.

Certainly it is easier for us to track net-next, but testers, not so much.

-
Dave Täht
Open Networking needs **Open Source Hardware**

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricRaymond/posts/JqxCe2pFr67