[Cake] #17

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sun Apr 12 19:50:29 EDT 2015

Hi Dave,

On Apr 12, 2015, at 23:59 , Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is not clear if atm framing and things like pppoe are used at
> higher rates on newer technologies like GPON and fiber.

	To be clear ATM is currently still a legacy tech, used where deployed, but not actively rolled out anymore. But unfortunately, ATM is still used between DSLAM and Modems if the modems run either ADSL1, ADSL2, or ADSL2+, since even in modern FTC dslams far away customers fall back to ADSL2+, so dropping ATM and per packet overhead support might not be the best idea. (But note as long as cake can be combined successfully with tc’s stab option all users should be fine, especially, IIRC as ADSL2+ tops out at around 20Mbps/3Mbps).
	PPPoE on the other hand is still used on DTAG’s (current) FTTH roll-out.

> They are not
> used in cablemodems, for example.

	But as far as I can tell almost everywhere else (ADSL/VDSL/Fiber) at least by some of the ISPs supporting such technologies.

> Given the headache it has been to
> get that straightened out on DSL AND detect AND configure properly, I
> would not mind if we abandoned the idea of supporting alternate
> framings in cake, and stuck with what already works in the sqm-scripts
> with htb + fq_codel.

	As far as I can tell most there techs just need a per-packet-overhead option (the kernel already tries to account for some overhead so the machinery is in place, we just need to expose it); ATM is mainly weird due to its insistence on padding out the last “cell” for each packet individually. As mentioned above, as long as cake can work with tc’s stab option all framing and overhead handling should be available to whoever needs it. (I note that stab will need some love for GRO packets).
	I would vote for exposing ATM framing and per packet overhead in cake to keep with the one-stop-shopping idea of its design (since enough people will be forced to live with ATM for the foreseeable future).