[Cake] NET_XMIT_CN question

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Thu Dec 17 16:39:45 EST 2015

Eric Dumazet very kindly answered a few of my questions regarding XMIT_CN.

I think the cake 'NET_XMIT_CN' optimisation has been prematurely ripped out.

Eric's helpful comments:
"
    If a packet scheduler returns NET_XMIT_CN , caller know a packet was
    dropped.

    If a packet scheduler returns NET_XMIT_SUCCESS , caller does not know
    a(nother) packet was dropped.

    Look for example in htb this part :

        } else if ((ret = qdisc_enqueue(skb, cl->un.leaf.q)) !=
    NET_XMIT_SUCCESS) {
            return ret;
       } else {
      }

    sch->q.qlen++;  // HERE : this part wont be run if NET_XMIT_CN was
    returned.

    A packet scheduler returns NET_XMIT_CN when it wants to tell the upper
    stack (like TCP) that it is worthless trying to push more packets for
    this flow, as it is (self) inflicting losses.

    Basically it is a (best effort) signal/hint to backoff.

    IP fragmentation layer for example aborts its attempt to send
    following fragments.
"

Kevin