[Cake] peeling harder with cake

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 12:01:08 EDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 8:15 PM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 3 Jul, 2015, at 04:27, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Also got more throughput for some reason.
>
> Is the NIC doing software GSO or does it have hardware support?  If the former, it would suggest that software GSO is a universally bad idea and should be excised.  If the latter, GSO should be disabled full stop for this hardware, so we can stop fannying about with peeling.

:) It is software GSO, and yes, given the 4.0 results for forwarding
on this platform, I would consider seriously cutting it down in size.
(say, 2 MTU, max, down from 64k, or less - should give better cache
behavior, too), That said, TSO/GSO/GRO is everywhere, and peeling,
needed. Take the intel ethernet chips, for starters.

But it would be best to experiment and benchmark, further.

>  - Jonathan Morton

worldwide bufferbloat report:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/results/bufferbloat
And:
What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/explore/makewififast