[Cake] How to test Cake on TP-Link WDR3600

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sat Jul 25 14:47:09 EDT 2015

Hi Alec,

On Jul 25, 2015, at 19:38 , Alec Robertson <alecrobertson13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I’ve uploaded all the files to the router and rebooted and very oddly, “cake" doesn’t show up as a qdisc but “layer_cake.qos” and “piece_of_cake.qos” show up as Queue setup scripts.

	Ah, this just shows that your sqm.lua is older than I assumed. No big issue just replace the /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/sqm.lua on your router with the attached sqm.lua. That should fix that issue.
Then please select cake as “Queueing discipline” and piece_of_cake.qos as “Queue setup script”, also make sure to go to the “Link Layer Adaptation” tab and select Ethernet… as “Which link layer to account for:” and put in probably 8 as “Per Packet Overhead (byte):” (not quite sure what the correct value is for your ISP), AND check the checkbox named “Show Advanced Linklayer Options, (only needed if MTU > 1500). Advanced options will only be used as long as this box is checked.” and finally select cake as “Which linklayer adaptation mechanism to use; for testing only”. That should get you started. Most likely your firmware will not fully allow to specify overhead for cake, but we will diagnose this and the revert to fix this up then most likely is to select tc_stab as “Which linklayer adaptation mechanism to use; for testing only”.

With a bit of luck this is all that is needed to get you going.