[Cake] How to test Cake on TP-Link WDR3600

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sat Jul 25 15:19:28 EDT 2015

Hi Alec,

On Jul 25, 2015, at 20:57 , Alec Robertson <alecrobertson13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's it, it's all showing up now.
>
> I will try it out right away. What should I be testing and looking out for?

1) test whether using cake as link layer adaptation mechanism works: put in a number for overhead and run “tc -d qdisc” and post the output of:
	a) cat /etc/config/sqm
	b) /etc/init.d/sqm stop ; tc -d qdisc
	c) /etc/init.d/sqm start ; tc -d qdisc

2) test whether you like the performance under load, http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest is a good start, registered (for free) users can change the configuration, I like to use 16 streams for upstream and downstream each and I like the “Hi-Res BufferBloat:	 (10hz check)” option.

3) test even more, have a loo at flent (https://flent.org), especially the rrul test has been a real help in understanding link behavior under load.
Please note, piece_of_cake will only use 1 priority for all packets (so effectively no priority), layer_cake.qos will by default, use 4 different priority layers, so expect some difference between layer_cake and piece_of_cake in the rrul results...