[Cake] some more fishcake vs everything else tests on 75_10mbit

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 15:58:13 EDT 2015

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/fishcake2/

as in any live environment, there are anomolies that would have to be
looked at and explaining the data and tests would take longer, so
rather than draw conclusions, ask questions. I look forward to having
a stable testbed again.

toke added a nice new feature to flent to track queue length (both in
bytes and packets), but it can't parse cake as yet, just codel,
fq_codel, and pie (no ecn).

Rough notes:

1) still losing on inbound. Once the concatenated queue gets out of
hand, it stays out of hand.

2) peeling at 250us did seem to cut throughput by a bit and latency by
a bit, probably cpu-ish related. ecn led to more latency in some
cases. I like the decision making on a number of flows basis but feel
1ms is too big.

3) count - 2 in the resumption phase was used here also. Seemed long
term stable. somewhere around here i did count/2 but am not sure when
i did. (mental problems with doing tests at 2am. I am trying and
failing to remember where my concern with long term stability came
from, also)

4) 50 up 1 down (at 10mbit) is "interesting". Compare pie with
fq_codel and cake.

5) a 1gbit cake vs fq on the test box was "interesting". topology here
is client->switch->server. sch_fq on both sides had nearly zero
packets backed up in the qdisc, where cake had 200+. I like the idea
of fiddling with sch_fq to also do more peeling as cake does. Also
there seems to be a latecomer disadvantage happening in sch_fq. I need
to go look at cwnds here...

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/gigE/

6) I find myself wanting to fiddle with napi on the box, and dreaming
of fluid models.

What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/explore/makewififast