[Cake] Control theory and congestion control

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 15:02:28 EDT 2015

> The "right" amount of buffering is *1* packet, all the time (the goal is
nearly 0 latency with 100% utilization). We are quite far from achieving
that on anything...

And control theory shows, I think, that we never will unless the mechanisms
available to us for signalling congestion improve. ECN is good, but it's
not sufficient to achieve that ultimate goal. I'll try to explain why.

Aside from computer networking, I also dabble in computer simulated trains.
Some of my bigger projects involve detailed simulations of what goes on
inside them, especially the older ones which are relatively simple. These
were built at a time when the idea of putting anything as delicate as a
transistor inside what was effectively a megawatt-class power station was
unthinkable, so the control gear tended to be electromechanical or even
electropneumatic. The control laws therefore tended to be the simplest ones
they could get away with.

The bulk of the generated power went into the main traction circuit, where
a dedicated main generator is connected rather directly to the traction
motors through a small amount of switchgear (mainly to reverse the fields
on the motors at either end off the line). Control of the megawatts of
power surging through this circuit was effected by varying the excitation
of the main generator. Excitation is in turn provided by shunting the
auxiliary voltage through an automatic rheostat known as the Load Regulator
before it reaches the field winding of the generator. Without field
current, the generator produces no power.

The load regulator is what I want to focus on here. Its job was to adjust
the output of the generator to match the power - more precisely the torque
- that the engine was capable of producing (or, in English Electric locos
at least, the torque set by the driver's controls, which wasn't always the
maximum). The load regulator had a little electric motor to move it up and
down. A good proxy for engine torque was available in the form of the fuel
rack position; the torque output of a diesel engine is closely related to
the amount of fuel injected per cycle. The fuel rack, of course, was
controlled by the governor which was set to maintain a particular engine
speed; a straightforward PI control problem solved by a reasonably simple
mechanical device.

So it looks like a simple control problem; if the torque is too low,
increase the excitation, and vice versa.

Congestion control looks like a simple problem too. If there is no
congestion, increase the amount of data in flight; if there is, reduce it.
We even have Explicit Congestion Notification now to tell us that crucial
data point, but we could always infer it from dropped packets before.

So what does the load regulator's control system look like? It has as many
as five states: fast down, slow down, hold, slow up, fast up. It turns out
that trains really like changes in tractive effort to be slow and smooth,
and as infrequent as possible. So while a very simple "bang bang" control
scheme would be possible, it would inevitably oscillate around the set
point instead of settling on it. Introducing a central hold state allows it
to settle when cruising at constant speed, and the two slow states allow
the sort of fine adjustments needed as a train gradually accelerates or
slows, putting the generator only slightly out of balance with the engine.
The fast states remain to allow for quick response to large changes - the
driver moves the throttle, or the motors abruptly reconfigure for a
different speed range (the electrical equivalent of changing gear).

On the Internet, we're firmly stuck with bang-bang control. As big an
improvement as ECN is, it still provides only one bit of information to the
sender: whether or not there was congestion reported during the last RTT.
Thus we can only use the "slow up" and "fast down" states of our virtual
load regulator (except for slow start, which ironically uses the "fast up"
state), and we are doomed to oscillate around the ideal congestion window,
never actually settling on it.

Bufferbloat is fundamentally about having insufficient information at the
endpoints about conditions in the network. We've done a lot to improve
that, by moving from zero information to one bit per RTT. But to achieve
that holy grail, we need more information still.

Specifically, we need to know when we're at the correct BDP, not just when
it's too high. And it'd be nice if we also knew if we were close to it. But
there is currently no way to provide that information from the network to
the endpoints.