[Cake] More on 'target' corner cases - rate/target/interval confusion?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Nov 3 08:49:43 EST 2015

On Nov 3, 2015, at 13:46 , Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:

> [...]
> Now whether or not this is *correct* I'm not so sure about. The minimum
> value set from the MTU is the Linux counterpart to the CoDel NS2 model's
> "always keep one packet in the queue". The reasoning is, basically, that
> there will be at least one packet in the layers below the qdisc which
> we will have to wait for before we can dequeue; so CoDel shouldn't react
> until queueing time goes *above* this minimum of waiting for one packet.
> [...]

I thought the rationale was that a target be tow the transfer time for a single MTU packet is not too reasonable as the queue will enter dropping state for each (full MTU) packet transferred. But that could be me misunderstanding codel… I guess most VoIP packets will not be full MTU, so on a dedicated VoIP queue the 1.5 * full MTU idea might be sub-optimal...