[Cake] Long-RTT broken again

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Tue Nov 3 12:05:12 EST 2015

Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> writes:

> Cake does the queue accounting in bytes, and calculates 15MB (by
> default) as the upper limit.  It’s *not* meant to be a packet buffer.

Ah, good.

> note the different behaviour of the upload and download streams in the
> results given.

This is not a result of ingress/egress shaping, though; the upstream and
downstream shaping is done on each side of the bottleneck on separate
boxes.

> The only way this could behave like a “packet buffer” instead of a
> byte-accounted queue is if there is a fixed size allocation per
> packet, regardless of the size of said packet. There are hints that
> this might actually be the case, and that the allocation is a hugely
> wasteful (for an ack) 2KB. (This also means that it’s not a 10240
> packet buffer, but about 7500.)

Right, well, in that case fixing the calculation to use the actual
packet size would make sense in any case?

> But in a bidirectional TCP scenario with ECN, only about a third of
> the packets should be acks (ignoring the relatively low number of ICMP
> and UDP probes); ECN causes an ack to be sent immediately, but then
> normal delayed-ack processing should resume. This makes 6KB allocated
> per ~3KB transmitted. The effective buffer size is thus 7.5MB, which
> is still compliant with the traditional rule of thumb (BDP /
> sqrt(flows)), given that there are four bulk flows each way.
>
> This effect is therefore not enough to explain the huge deficit Toke
> measured. The calculus also changes by only a small factor if we
> ignore delayed acks, making 8KB allocated per 3KB transmitted.

Well, there are also several UDP measurement flows and a ping, which all
send really small packets; so it's not just the acks.

> So, again - what’s going on?  Are there any clues in packet traces
> with sequence analysis?

Not really; the qdisc stats show ~6000 packets dropped over the 300
second test; and lots and lots of overlimits. So my guess is that the
queue is in fact overflowing.

Will post a trace when I get a chance tomorrow.

> I’ll put in a configurable memory limit anyway, but I really do want
> to understand why this is happening.

As I said before: a configurable limit is not a fix for this; we need
the default behaviour to be sane.

-Toke