[Cake] coping with diffserv and videoconferencing right

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 11:50:00 EST 2015

Personally I think the weighting in "cake" should be far less towards
videoconferencing than it is currently in the diffserv4 cake model,
otherwise it will be abused. BE should account for at least 50% of the
total, to keep the majority of incentive for BE.

 The weighting should also be relative to bandwidth. - giving 1/4 to
voice on a 100mbit system is overkill.

I have lost track of the relative weights sqm used, not that they were
correct either.

I have always kind of figured on having a bunch of well defined, yet
evolving, models and a good default.

High on my list is to get some version of webrtc (in chrome or firefox
or freeswitch or jitsy) to actually use two tuples for voice and
video, and the associated diffserv markings, to see what happened
under test.  Also really wanted to explore (or at least know) the real
bandwidth and packet rate opus at the most optimium setting (48khz,
2.7ms latency) used for 1-6 channels of audio.

There was some discussion on this thread a while back.

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtcweb/current/msg15319.html

If there is some list (rmcat?) this is worth discussing on, it would
be good to know. Other people worth talking to to put together the
needed testbed also... would really like to re-open the ecn idea for
video again....

https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi